Medical Insurance or Mediclaim as it is commonly known in India provides financial cover to individuals for treatment of medical conditions, diseases and accidents. While your Mediclaim Insurance will cover most expenses related to hospitalization and related costs, there are certain exclusions that are NOT covered in the policy. Below are a few of the aspects that are not covered in most Mediclaim policies.
- Non-medical expenses like administrative charges, service charges, toiletries, diapers, syringes, etc.
- Diseases/ailments contracted within a specific time from the policy purchase
- Any dental treatment except in case of an accident
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases and HIV
- Cosmetic surgery, circumcision or plastic surgery
- Medical condition resulting from the addiction of alcohol, smoking, drug abuse, etc.
- Health conditions arising out of war, nuclear weapon, etc.
- Can be renewed annually. Some insurers offer renewals every 2 or 3 years.
- Can be opted for Individual or Family Floater.
- For anyone between the age of 91 days to 65 years.
- Covered pre-existing medical conditions after a waiting period of 3-5 years.
- Can be bought online without any paperwork.
- Sum insured opted can be as much as Rs. 50 lakhs.
- Can be ported to different insurer at the time of renewal.